Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Mr. Woodcock

Admittedly, I had high hopes for this movie. The previews showed a story spelling nothing but humor; a successful self-help author returns home to find that his mother is dating the evil gym teacher that destroyed his childhood. Sounds like a good comedy to me. And who could they place in a better role of the demonic P.E. teacher than Billy Bob Thorton. Honestly, the man looked completely at home when he was pelting those little kids with basketballs. All of that being said, I was a little dissappointed with the way this movie turned out.

It wasn't a terrible movie, I just didn't laugh nearly as much as I had expected. Perhaps my expectations were a bit unreasonable and therefore caused the letdown, but still this was a very average comedy. Certain parts in this movie were extremely funny, don't get me wrong there, maybe I was just searching for a little more. When Mr. Woodcock exits the theaters and arrives on video, my suggestion will be to rent this movie with a large group of friends rather than buying it. I do recommend seeing this movie at some point, but with no real urgency to be honest. But who knows, you might enjoy this movie more than I did.

The funny parts in this film went above and beyond to make up for the empty minutes without any humor. These parts saved this movie from disaster. The big name actors also carried the load throughout a large portion of the flick. All things considered, Mr. Woodcock deserves a C+ as an overall grade. Don't let my downplay stop you from seeing this if it had caught your attention already, but I am not recommending it as a movie to go see this moment no matter what.

No comments: